After saying goodbye to Calista and Tracy it was nice to still have mom here for the rest of the week. Tuesday was crazy hair day at daycare. Hailey has always loved crazy hair day. The hair stylists from Beaners come in and do colored braids, color spray and sparkles. The kids get their nails painted and have tons of fun. Hailey came home with purple nails, a pink braid and tons of sparkles. Dylan came home with pink polish and a pink mow-hawk...they tell me he said he wanted pink for mommy.


With so much rain and then a heat wave the mosquitoes were out in full force. On Wednesday I picked the kids up from daycare and found during their daytime trip to the park Dylan go 6 mosquito bites on his face and several on his arms and legs, Hailey had 15 bites on her legs. I very much try to keep their bites to a minimum. Even in the best scenario Hailey usually scratches until they bleed. Add to that the risk of West Nile and Dylan's severe swelling, mosquito bites are a big deal for us. As is always the case for Dylan, his bites swelled into big red circles as wide as plums. I ended up keeping the kids home on Thursday. Hailey was thrilled to have a day to play with Grandma Cindy. Dylan had a fever, we had to give him several doses of Benedryl and tons of After Bite cream to fight his reaction to so many bites. By Friday both kids were better and scratching far less so they headed back to daycare.


My mom took the bus home first thing Friday morning and we finished out the work day before heading to the lake. Although we managed to leave a little earlier than usual, the long weekend traffic was really heavy having us travel well under the speed limit for most of the drive. This was our first full long weekend out at the lake this year. We actually had to take Monday as a vacation day to get it. Darcy and I work for an American company so we get the bare minimum for stat holidays and only 2 weeks vacation! That was a tough adjustment for me when I changed jobs. I was quite used to my 5 weeks off every year. We vowed that next year we will make several weekends long ones. The extra day made the weekend seem so long and relaxing. Very nice!



Sean, Robyn and Peter joined us for the weekend. It was nice to spend some more time with Darcy's brother and his wife and of course our little nephew Peter! He is such a little sweetie. At 2 months old Peter is a very content little baby, sleeps well, eats well and hardly ever cries. He really likes to look at the flames in the fire pit. It catches his full attention.


Our neighbors Cory, LeeAnn, Gavin and 4 week old Melina were up also with guests, so we did lots of visiting. Cory's sister brought her dogs, so we were visited by Winston the wiener dog quite a few times during the weekend...pretty much after every meal, Winston would come and clean up the deck under the picnic table. I think I need to get a Winston for my house!


Saturday Darcy and Sean put more work into the lake path. They built a set of stairs for the steepest section. Darcy cut up a ton of dead, fallen trees and we hauled them out of the bush. At least now we can get down to the beach from our lake lot, not that our neighbors mind us using their path :) Dylan also helped daddy put new pieces of wood on the stairs for the deck.


We spent some time down by water but decided it wasn't a great day for swimming or boating. When the afternoon got warm I let the kids play with a few cups, bottles and water on the deck. Such a simple thing kept them busy for a very long time. Darcy also filled the kiddie pool and the kids swam until dinner time.


Saturday night we got a quick storm and the water got rough so Sunday morning there was an accumulation of what I call gunge on the water. Typical for Alberta lakes and makes it a little yucky to swim out from shore. The kids didn't seem to mind though, they spent the early part of the afternoon wading in the water and making castles and mud pies on the beach. I use the term beach kind of loosely as there is mostly grass and rock.



We decided to escape the gunge and took the boat out for a dip in the middle of the lake. It was only slightly shocking when you plunged into the water, then really refreshing. Hailey came for a swim with Uncle Sean and me. Then Darcy and I each took a wakeboard run. This was my first run of the season, thank goodness it was like riding a bike. I was a bit rusty and my back got sore pretty quick but I really enjoyed it. The water was incredibly busy. I drove the boat for Darcy's first run and was very uncomfortable with the number of boats on the water, dozens were out pulling boarders, skiers and tubes. After that I gave up the wheel to Sean.




Uncle Sean had a visit from a beautiful little friend. This lovely butterfly fluttered around him for quite awhile and landed on him several times. My kids spent much time on the swings as usual. Dylan usually likes to go in the bucket, but this time Hailey showed him how the big kids do it so he would rather swing her way.

0 comments:
Post a Comment