I am sure all parents have a slightly skewed view of their own children, after all we made them obviously they are the best, brightest and most beautiful. I live in the bliss of knowing that my children are different, they are special and gifted. When our children are very small they seem to know only what we teach them. We are so proud when they mimic our words, songs and motions. They get older and all of a sudden they have thoughts and feelings of their own and sometimes they say the darnedest things.
Hailey's thoughts never cease to amaze me. She is a thinker. Sometimes days, weeks or months can pass and she repeats or brings up topics that I never imagined she would be still be pondering. Most recently we talked about her middle name, Jean. I told her it was the name of my very special Nana, who she had never met. She asked where my Nana went and I explained that she had passed away before Hailey was born. Hailey responded, "like papa Joe?" and I said yes. I explained that my Nana and Papa had lived many, many years before they passed away. She then asked if my dad passed away or if my mom passed away and I explained that Grandpa Ernie and Grandma Cindy were my mom and dad and they had not passed away. She looked me square in the eye and asked me if I was going to pass away. I had no idea really that she would come to this sort of conclusion. I told her that one day I would pass away but that mommy's and daddy's like to live a lot of years so that they can see all of the things their kids do in a lifetime. I hoped that I would live for so many years that it would be hard to count. She tilted her head slightly, then very matter-of-factly told me she was going to stay number 30 forever so that she would never pass away. She nodded like she was satisfied with her decision and changed the subject to birthdays. The conversation certainly made me realize how unprepared I was.
The next day she asked me again if I was going to pass away and my answer was pretty much the same. I didn't want to make her a promise that I would be here but also did not want her to worry. Out of the blue the other day Hailey commented to Darcy that Nana Jean passed away at the end of her numbers, which is somewhat profound and cute at the same time. From time to time she will bring up the topic again so it is obviously something that she thinks about sometimes. If only we could all just stop aging at 30...
Not every clever thing Hailey says is serious, some of it is down right hilarious. Hailey hears everything and doesn't let anyone get away with using bathroom words or bad words...like fart, poopy, crap, hate and stupid. The other day Tracy and I were teasing her and she put her hands on her hips slightly annoyed, titled her head and said "I have my eye on you two" and strutted off. We could hardly contain our selves.
Dylan these days talks non-stop. For a two year old I think he has an excellent vocabulary. He has been talking in full sentences for months. He'll say things like 'Pass me the excavator please'. While driving to a birthday party last week, Hailey taught him to spell D-Y-L-A-N and it stuck, the kids has an incredible memory. The only problem is that he remembers EVERYTHING he hears and has a talent for saying things in the right context. Like when he drops a toy he stomps one foot and says 'Jesus, Jesus, Jesus' -- where on Earth he got that one we don't know.
Wednesday, July 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment